Orlando Weekly has just published its annual "Best Of" list for Orlando for 2011. Categories include "Best Beer Bar", "Best Pub", "Best Irish Pub", "Best Dive Bar", and "Best Outdoor Seating". Not surprisingly, Redlight Redlight was named Orlando's "Best Beer Bar" for 2011. Also, Fiddler's Green was named "Best Irish Pub" for the fourth year in a row.
The "Best of 2011 List" is a great resource to use when looking for great food and drink in Orlando. Go to Orlando's Weekly's site to check out the full "Best of 2011" list.
Travel and Leisure Magazine has listed America's Top 20 Beer Cities based on its readers submissions. The Top 5 are
1. Portland, Oregon
2. Denver, Colorado
3. Seattle, Washington
4. Providence, Rhode Island
5. Portland, Maine
For the full story http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-beer-cities/1
Lagniappe Brewing will release its Effinheimer Reserve Ale today. It's described as a seasonal brew that has been aged for months in Bourbon barrels. A rich flavor and extremely smooth finish create a special treat. As of Monday, Effinheimer Ale and Effinheimer Porter were available on draft at Dr. Phillips World of Beer and several other locations. For more info on the Lagniappe Brewery and Effinheimer Beer check out their website http://www.effinheimerbeer.com Support local breweries. Try an Effinheimer beer.
If you have frequented some of the establishments on our list we'd love to hear your reviews. You can now submit reviews for all of the craft breweries, brewpubs, bars, and pubs on our site. If you'd like to review a particular craft beer that you had at one of our spots we welcome that too. We will post all reviews when we receive them. We look forward to hearing from you!
In the past, the Sunshine State has not been thought of as a mecca for great beer. The results from the 2011 US Open Beer Championships speak differently though. Cigar City Brewery finished 2nd overall in the competition taking home 4 gold medals, a silver and a bronze. Florida Beer Company's Swamp Ape IPA and Florida Lager also received Silver Medals. Check out Florida's results below or go to http://usopenbeer.com/ for complete results from the 2011 US Open Beer Championships that consisted of more than 1200 entries in more than 50 categories.
Top 10 Breweries based on beers placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd
1. Deschutes Brewery, Oregon
2. Cigar City Brewing, Florida
2. Grand Teton Brewing, Idaho
4. Boston Beer Company, Massachusetts
5. New Belgium Brewing, Colorado
6. Full Sail Ales, Oregon
7. Sprecher Brewing, Wisconsin
8. Neustadt Brewing, Canada
9Montana Brewing, Montana
10. August Schell, Minnesota
10. Capital Brewing, Wisconsin
- Hop Henge Experimental IPA – Deschutes Brewery
- Swamp Ape IPA – Florida Beer Company
- Moylans Double IPA - Moylans Brewery
- Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale - Cigar City Brewing
– Doreens Downtown Brown - Montana Brewing
- Bear Ass Brown - Silverton Brewing
- Dirac – Cigar City Brewing
- The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery
- Tempest Imperial Stout - Amsterdams Brewing
Strong Scottish Ale
- Big Sound - Cigar City Brewing
- Piper's Scotch Ale – Sprecher Brewing
- Moylans Kilt Lifter - Moylans Brewing
American Premium Lager
- Session Permium – Full Sail Brewing
- Florida Lager - Florida Beer Company
- Supper Club – Capital Brewery
Chocolate / Cocoa Beer
- Hunahpu Mayan Chocolate Stout - Cigar City Brewing
- Maui Imperial Coconut Porter - Maui Brewing
- Chocolate Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.
Wood / Barrel aged beer
- Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale – Lexington Brewing
- Jai Alia White Oak IPA - Cigar Brewing
- Humidor IPA - Cigar Brewing
The WaZoo Beer Festival is set to take place Sunday August 6th from 7:30-10:30pm at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo. WaZoo has been listed as one off the top 10 beer festivals in America by USA Today. The festival will feature zoo wide samplings of over 250 beers and beverages from around the world. For ticket prices and more info check out their official website http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/wazoo/index.html
We need more craft beer in cans in Florida! According to craftcans.com there are currently 336 craft brewed canned beers from 131 breweries in the United States. There are no craft breweries in Florida that produce cans at this time. Hopefully soon though. In the meantime, check out www.craftcans.com and join the "Canned Beer Revolution" . Its a website devoted completely to craft beer that's sold in a can.
I guess George was a lot cooler than we thought....
Orlando Beer Blog
Our goal is to provide you with the latest on where to enjoy craft beer in Orlando.